This course develops your craft skills to work at recognised industrial standards within the carpentry area.
You will learn new site carpentry skills as well as develop those learnt at level 2. You will gain the underpinning knowledge and skills to prepare for a career in the industry. The college has close links to construction companies and has a work placement programme where students can get the opportunity to experience commercial construction work conditions.
Construction is a booming industry and is forecast to continue with this trend. Therefore over the Summer of 2018, we have invested in our Construction buildings, to improve the space and work conditions for our students.
The additional workshop space created allows both carpentry and bricklaying groups to have the very best teaching and learning experience on their chosen course.
At level 3 you will study and be assessed in the subjects below:
• Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
• Carry out first fixing operations
• Carry out second fixing operations
• Set up and operate cutting and shaping machinery
• Analysing technical information, quantities and communication with others
• Analysing the construction industry and built environment
• Erect complex structural carcassing components
• Install and maintain non-structural and structural components
• Functional skills or GCSE (English, mathematics)
This course is suitable for learners who have completed the Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry
Conditions at this training centre reflect those on site. All students must have their own protective overalls, toe-protective footwear, a recommended basic tool kit, a text book and basic stationery. Students are allocated a certain amount of free printing, after which a small fee will be incurred.
5 GCSE passes at grade C/grade 4 or above, ideally including English and Maths (some subject areas may require higher grades than grade C/4 in a specific subject), or for progressing students successful achievement of a level 2 vocational qualification.
Employment/possible up skilling to NVQ in the future
Attending one of our Open Events is an opportunity to talk to knowledgeable tutors and view our excellent facilities