A traineeship is a programme that includes a work placement and study. It can last from 6 weeks up to 1 year (although most will last for less than 6 months) to develop appropriate skills for an apprenticeship or employment.
Who can apply
You can apply for a traineeship if you’re:
- eligible to work in England
- have little or no work experience but are motivated to work
- aged 16-24yrs – or 25yrs with an EHCP (educational health care plan) – and qualified up to level 3
What a traineeship includes
Traineeships are free. The cost of training is given to the training providers by the government.
The training provider will provide:
- training to prepare you for work, including CV writing and what to expect in the workplace
- support to improve your English, maths and digital skills if you need it
- industry sector focused vocational learning to help prepare you for your future apprenticeship or job and recognition of your learning
The employer provides:
- a high-quality work placement of at least 70 hours
- an interview for an apprenticeship or job if available, or an exit interview with written feedback
Programmes can be tailored to meet your needs and prepare you for what local businesses are looking for.
A traineeship programme including work experience and study at our college. Employers are not required to pay you for the work placement, but they can support you with expenses such as transport and meals.
If you are eligible, you can maintain your entitlement to benefits whilst on a traineeship as necessary.
Along with recognition of your learning, there will be support to link you with job opportunities or an apprenticeship..
You may get:
- expenses for transport and meals from your employer
- financial support for travel, childcare or a disability from your training provider
- support from your local Jobcentre Plus if you are eligible for work benefits
Find a traineeship
- by asking your local college – Brooklands College
- by speaking to your school careers advisers if you’re 16 to 18 years old
- by speaking to your Jobcentre Plus adviser if you’re in receipt of benefits
- on the Find a traineeship page
Call our Apprenticeships and Partnerships Team:
Tel: 01932 797733
Get career advice from the Brooklands College Careers Team on 01932 558357 or the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.